Male Fashion – Adore Models
“Fashion you can buy, but style you possess. The key to style is learning who you are, which takes years. There’s no how-to road map to style. It’s about self-expression and, above all, attitude.” Iris Apfel explains the importance of having a personal style in your professional work in the modeling industry. Part of becoming a model is being a celebrity, living in the public eye. Sure it can be stressful sometimes but just imagine the entire world, your fans, the people that appreciate your work celebrating every second of your success with you. Imagine the world following your footsteps into the industry. Imagine being a role model for a teenager who aspires to be you when he grows up. Now more than ever, the modeling industry is embracing the things that make models unique. Features that stand out are considered advantages, rather than flaws.
Models walking down the street are very rarely recognized as such. Being a model is a creation, putting on fantastic clothes, have their make up done and you have this special beauty. Modeling is an aesthetically-driven industry, and beauty/appearance is undeniably essential. Aspiring models make a big mistake when they adopt the mentality of, “I’m pretty enough to be a model, so I will just work by with my looks alone and minimal effort.” Many up-and-coming models of the past never worked another day in their life in the modeling industry after their unprofessionalism, lousy attitude, and diva-like reputation began to overshadow their beauty. Hence, it is very important for any model to realize that there is plenty of fish in the sea.
Women seem to have dominated the modeling industry. When you think of a model, you are likely to think of a woman. From Helen to Kriti Sanon, models from different generations have become an icon of beauty and style. However, male models are now carving a larger spot in the modeling world and are becoming icons of their own. Modeling for males is very similar to that of female modeling. Most male models are chosen for their sex appeal and good looks on camera, but a good stage presence is also required for doing any kind of fashion catwalk shows, where you will be taught about how to walk, how to hold yourself, posing and more. With good looks and a toned body, there are a lot of factors that male models have to be aware of. To become a model, one must adhere to a thorough beauty regimen, looking and feeling your best will only benefit you no matter how you look at it – professionally or personally. For instance, wearing a pair of well-fit jeans, a clean shirt with denim or a leather jacket to a test shoot also gives the agency an idea about your personal style.
After observing constant growth in the fashion and modeling industry it has become very important for every model to have a personal style. Something that makes them unique, something that differentiates them from the other 10-15 models, probably waiting for the same audition, shoot or event. Having your beauty habits nailed down is absolutely a career advantage for any aspiring fashion model. A model who takes care of his appearance is much more of an asset than a lazy one with poor hygiene and no motivation to look his best. To dress the part, understand how to wear clothes that fit your body type. Know when to dress up or keep it casual, and experiment with different looks. With some staple wardrobe pieces, you can find your style and show off your inner persona .
Dressing like a male model is as much about rocking a trendy fashion style as it is about being comfortable in your own skin. When the occasion calls for more of a sophisticated look, like your job, take pride in dressing up.
- Ditch the wrinkled, oversized button-down and pleated khakis. Instead, wear a custom-made tailored blazer with chinos or trousers.
- You can wear a suit and tie, or deconstruct it to go more relaxed. Pair the jacket and tie with dark wash jeans, or forget the tie altogether for a classy, yet carefree look. Your jacket should be tapered so that it makes you look slim and gives your torso a nice “V-shaped” look that’s wider at the shoulders.
- The cuff of your shirt should peek out about half an inch. Your trousers should drape nicely with clean lines from your waist.
Depending on your personal style, you want the break of the pants to just kiss the top of your shoes.
Deciding what you wear can be a tedious task when it comes to the weather. Therefore you want to incorporate certain outfits that may keep you cool on a warm day and vice versa.
- Cotton is said to be a year-round fabric although it works great on a warm day. Not only does cotton breathe but it is a good fit, regardless of the type of garment you wear. A nude-colored cotton t-shirt works for a casual day and can be turned into “dressy” just by adding a blazer.
- Linen is a durable summer fabric that will not make you feel like you’re in a sauna. For instance, linen suits are perfect for a summer wedding or a cocktail party. Nevertheless, a light linen sweater is perfect for the cool Mumbai winters.
- Wool is the most valuable winter outfit. It’s great for when you want an extra layer of warmth. Cashmere is another great fabric for pairing with a suit on a more formal occasion.
- Flannel is another great option for shirts and trousers and is a staple for a casual comfortable day regardless of how hot to cold it is.
Apart from the fashion aspect of modeling, it may seem easy and glamorous, but that is by no means the reality. It will take a lot of commitment on your part to become a model. Are you prepared to maintain a diet, fitness, and beauty regimen, even when you are having a dry spell and not booking any work? Are you willing to do a 12-hr photoshoot in freezing and windy conditions, while wearing a wardrobe that offers no warmth, while still getting the shot, without complaining? Are you willing to travel internationally on long trips, and be away from your significant other, family, friends, and the comforts of home for an extended period? Are you willing to try a new, drastic change in hairstyle for a shoot? Every job requires a certain level of commitment and compromise. When it comes to modeling, you commit to your body, health, beauty and even so the audience that appreciates it. These commitments are not meant to scare you by any means – modeling CAN be fun, rewarding, exciting, and glamorous. Just make sure you are aware of the possibilities on both sides, good and bad, and you are ready to commit no matter what!